Tuesday, July 19, 2011

i was raised on the street.

how great is that saying?  were you raised on the street, sesame street, to be exact?  i was, hence my dope t-shirt.  my brother was.  so much that, apparently, he developed an east coast accent.  we learned spanish, opposites, what it meant to be a hard workin' dog and what it meant to love and be loved.  i know this because i loved ernie.  love love loved him.  and, once at jc penney, i met susan.  got an autograph and posed in a picture where she's embracing me like i hug my own babies.  i know i have that picture around here, somewhere...
thumbs up.  i know i'm a nerd.
i went to my first sesame street live back in 80-something.  maybe '85 or '86.  i remember our balcony seats at the met center and that my pal joe carlson accompanied me and my parents - yeah, they had to tag along...  maybe another boy, too.  i remember how psyched i was to see all my television best friends.  kinda like a dream come true.  like, watching disney movies and not really believing that somewhere existed where you could actually see that magic kingdom graphic at the beginning of movies.  surreal and mind-blowing for a kid that's only lived a mere 5-7 years on earth, right?  

so bringing jb to sesame street live was quite thrilling.  we got near-front row seats (mostly for my excitement, maybe) and went all out on goodies and souvenirs.  when the lights dimmed and all my old best friends were front and center, singing and dancing, clapping and wiggling, my eyes filled with tears as i saw my boy's expression.  he was utterly amazed.  MAMA, YOOK!  ernie!  big BIRD!  what's his name?  what's dat guy's name?  ELMO!  the words could not come fast enough.  if jb were a cartoon, his head would have burst and confetti would have spewed from the top.  we made his day.  and truthfully, mine too.    
the walk in
 so excited

 dada in the back ground, puttin away the slushie
yay!  it started!
(note to others: no need to get there early!)
 jb's popcorn that he wouldn't let anyone else taste.
 personal elmo!

 jb loved all the clapping
 over the pictures, ready to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment