Saturday, September 28, 2013

fungi

kinda like toddler smooches and knock-you-over hugs, candy and my mom's chicken noodle soup - mushrooms bring a smile to my face.  it's that memory of childhood; summers at my grandparent's home, hunting for them around the birch trees, kicking them over, and ultimately, mushroom fights with my cousins.  that rubbery texture, sticking to my neck and slipping down the back of my hoody, all the while laughing and squealing.  the smell of alaskan air; they're part of that nostalgic space in my brain that fills me with happiness and feel-good goodness.

and now, my children carrying on this silly obsession.  several years ago, it started with jack.  eyes as big as dinner plates.  and, just as soon as he spotted one, he HAD to boot it into smithereens.  this year?  

no, don't touch 'em.  just yook at 'em.  

dylan is the one to come along, teasing her big bro and stomping out the brilliant beauties as if they were on fire.  she is such a turkey.    

so on an afternoon, while both girls were snoozing, jackie and i wandered outside.  he had told me there were huge mushrooms on the other side of the fence, and sure enough, we hit the mother load of fungi.  thank you, nearly 30-days of rain, for our supple supply of toadstools.        



2 comments: