Monday, February 20, 2012

back post #3

october 2011


after thinking about the first gown i ever tried on, i did the unthinkable.  i went on ebay and searched for 2001-2002 vera wang bridal gowns.  does it shock you that my search results yielded a big, stinkin' zero?!  so i changed my search to vera wang wedding.  voila!  i was bombarded with pages and pages of gowns.  none of which were my love from so long ago, but it lead me to several girls selling their vera wang dresses that they had bought from, where, you might wonder???  

"yooou'll love davids bridaaal" 

can't you just hear that jingle?!



of all places.  so i journeyed on over to their site, and sure enough, 19 gorgeous vera wang bridal gowns.  i'm still shocked.  i guess it's kind of like missoni releasing a line to target, right?!  it didn't matter.  i spotted a dress that could be IT.  at least, it looked very similar to the one from so many years ago.


the night before my appointment, a sweet lady called to give me a tip.  create an account on the website, and then in the store, they can pull up the dresses i like and go from there.  perfect.  i stayed up until 1 a.m.  besides all the veras that i was in love with, i looked at every dress on their site.  sometimes twice.  all in all, i ended up with 13 dresses that i was able to cut down to 9.

when i arrived at the store, they pulled up my account, grabbed 8 dresses (1 was not available) and showed me to my corner of the store.  i was SO relieved that there was no one else trying on dresses.  i really am not a fan of a crowd.  (and both times at the wedding shoppe, i had to "show off" in the mirror with 5+ spectators.)  some people would eat that up, but i'd rather try to hide behind the clear plastic bags.  



so with a corner to myself, i was surrounded by mirrors and a thousand annies - if you looked waaay far back in them.  as i was slipping into my favorite one, i wasn't getting too excited because i knew how my last love affair with a picture went.  but alas, ahhh!  ohmygoodness, this may be it.  i tried on the size that came off the rack, and it was a little big.  i thought the skirt could be bigger too.  (do you see a theme here?  ben would say, go big or go home, but funny enough, when he browsed, for a half-second, he wanted more of a sheath dress.  ok, never mind, babe!  i don't want your opinion!)  


i had a really good feeling that this was as close as possible to the first dress and the first feeling.  to appease myself, i tried on all 8 dresses.  the one that had me wavering was another organza beauty.  although, i could have swore it was a cotton-linen blend because it was sooo soft and comfy!  it was a dropped waist with a floral applique here and here and there.  pretty.  simple.  flowy.  total beach dress.  practical.  a fraction of the price.  but as i'm talking and thinking out loud, the sweet consultant was like, ok, no no no, practical and simple are not what you are going for!  and she was totally right.  so with that, i was back to the first one.  she grabbed the sample off the mannequin, exchanged my slip for one with the most crinoline and...

DONE.  my search is over.  i've had the man for almost 9 years, and now, i have the perfect dress for me.        

No comments:

Post a Comment