Tuesday, June 5, 2012

12k

i love my husband.  and, as much as i love him for {ALL} the things he can do, i may love and admire him more for the things he can't do.  i mean, when the list just goes on and annoyingly on of all his achievements and abilities, it's kinda nice to see him not excel at something, just to prove he's not superhuman after all.

so here, you will not notice me crossing the finish line, but dammit, you DO see his attempt at catching me.  (you can just barely see me in the big picture, right in the middle, wearing a black hat.  see?  ok, like i said BARELY.)  

but, he did capture these gems:

ok, ok.  so really, the kids only cared about my tasty water.  although, jack does look extra cute and lovey with me.  i wish i could have snapped my eyelids and taken a picture of when i first saw jb after i crested the hill, cheering me on as i approached the finish.  even with my earbuds blaring, i could read his lips perfectly:

  hiiiyeee, mama!  you doin good job on the road rally!


right after crossing.  catching my breath.  must keep walking.

my uncle bob and aunt sarah came out to support me as well.  i've been so used to running these races and having no one congratulate me at then end.  this race?  what a blessing to have such a great group of smiling faces.

our neighbors, josh and tracy, ran the 6k.
more smiling face, definitely feeling the love.  
family shot!
yep, dylan's so happy she made it out for the water...  

the race?  we left skinny raven (h street) and headed toward the inlet, making a right onto 3rd avenue.  across the bridge, up toward government hill, and oooh, boy, that was a doosey.  i can't really call it a hill, more of a long, drawn-out incline.  however, i seem to excel at hills, finding a little boost within to just sprint up them.  i can only thank the butte and all the other hiking trails the kids get me out on.  a 1,000 thank you's is more like it!  

after the 2-3 mile loop around gov't hill, we made our way back down the incline, and there, it felt as if my legs turned to one solid oval, like you'd see on a cartoon, spinning so fast you cannot decipher where the limbs end or start - you feel me?!  i was running so fast down the hill, feeling like my body couldn't keep up with my legs.  once the run tapered out on the bridge, i regained my pace, pushing myself as i ran back down 3rd and onto the coastal trail.  

while the coastal trail is gorgeous, and i kinda get a little lost in the view, i struggle with it mainly because it seems to just go on and on.  this is usually where my mind battles my body in that how-much-longer train of thought.  i don't like it.  but, once i ran through the tunnel and popped out into westchester lagoon, i knew the race was just a mile or so from completion.

the mental anguish to be running along, and then see the people way ahead of you, running in the opposite direction, it's like, woah! how much further down until we switch back? but it was all good.  i had some reserves and was able to pick up my pace into a full run.  i was passing people that had passed me.  and, it helped to have a classic tune come on, just when i needed it:  gimme shelter  

the last hill (and oh, is it an awful one,) is steep and winding and just when you think you've ran your last hill, nope, there's two more!  i've ran that part of the neighborhood many, many times, and yet, i can never remember when you peak out on top, entering the park strip.

ah, the park strip!  as soon as my feet his the grass, i looked up and saw my two boys.  at this point last year, i broke down a little, spilled a few tears, but this year - i had enough in me to continue passing people until the very end.  such an amazing feeling to cross a finish line!  i don't care what place i ever come in, i really don't care what my time is, i am just addicted to that feeling.  

but since i'm a documenter, here's the exclusive:


a couple more from my phone.  tracy, jennifer and i pre-race.  jenn finished 8 minutes after me, and yet, we never saw each other post-race - hate that!  the other photo is of marco cheseto and his father.  i thought of him the entire race.  if you haven't heard his story, please google him and choose from any of the 67,800 results.  wow.  what an inspiration.    


next up, 1/2 marathon.  just 18 days away.

1 comment: