Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"don't blame the mucus" so says my mother

i don't get sick that often. (knock on wood.) i really don't. i may be a germaphobe, but in reality, my family remains fairly healthy. but, that's likely due in part to our regular hand-washing, not sharing glasses or eating off each other's plates. so when i do get sick, i tend to get pretty run down. take for instance, this past weekend. i made several calls to people on saturday, hoping to schedule some get togethers before the holidays. well, by the time these individuals called me back, i sounded as if i had risen from the dead. (coincidently, i did feel like i was close to death...)

on sunday morning, my face woke me up around 2:30 feeling as if were to explode at any minute. ohhh, the pressure! (small side note: if you know me at all, you know my love of breast feeding, but at that moment of desperation, i would have hung up the nursing bra to be able to down a tylenol cold tablet or five.) i was never able to get back to sleep. i wish i could share that the pain went away, but it stuck around like an annoying pimple on the tip of your nose. tossing and turning in bed, moaning like my bulldog, i was in rough shape. when i could finally take no more, i called the pharmacy and pleaded my case, asking if there was anything i could take. moments later, my dear benji was out the door, in search of some silly nose spray. to my surprise, it did relieve my sinus pain - if only for 15 minutes. and then again, 4 hours later, i was relieved again. momentarily.

ok, so it is now thursday night (i started this on tuesday) and i'm attempting to put this blog to rest. you know i'm not feeling well when i can't even sit up and move my fingers to type. i had two days of relief and now my face/sinus pain is back. i've demolished 3 boxes of kleenex, including 4 of the travel size packets. oh, and my gums throb, and my teeth feel as if they are just going to wiggle themselves free. i end up tiptoeing around my house so i don't feel my teeth. how gross is that?! my ears are also plugged. basically, i'm mess.

my father called me this morning and had some amazing words of wisdom for me: get a lot of rest. ohhh, really?! ok, well just come on over and watch my rascals so i can make that happen! love you, pop! i guess i am thankful that dylan sleeps through the night, and jackie even sleeps in until 9 or so. but being a mama, there are no sick days. what i wouldn't give for my own mother to write me a note, excusing me from my duties for the day. i always thought taking care of sick children would be the pits, but nothing can compare to taking care of them when you can barely care for yourself.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Annie....being sick is no fun. Hope you are feeling better now or soon! I've got a nasty cold with Eric out of town, soooo not fun to try and be mom and sick at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, you're sick right now too?! That's awful. Tis the season. I hope you're better soon too. I'm gonna try to get into my doctor, not sure what I could take, but I'm sure he does :)

    ReplyDelete