Tuesday, October 18, 2011

i. was. runnin.

the above title is to be read in a forrest gump accent.  ok?

snow city 5k

on the same day as the bathroom(s) makeover for mama lynn, benji and i started off our morning with a 5k.  this was not our first time working out together, no, but it was our first time competing together.  we are both competitive by nature.  we like to win.  we like to succeed.  we like to challenge ourselves.  but.  there are a few things i did not take into consideration. 
    • several inches separate us in height, creating different strides
    • his strength versus mine
    • although i had been running all summer, he stays extremely active at work plus his "wind" from grappling/boxing/mma is at a level i can't compete with
    • he's a man, and i am clearly the farthest from that
    • his crazy-desire to mow everyone down that may run in front of him
    • that i would be irritated with him from beginning to end
ok, so lemme cover my a__ explain.  on our way into anchorage, we talked about our game plan.  he knew my desire for beating that 31 minute timeframe.  i told him in past races, i tended to get ahead of myself, going too hard the first half, while lagging on the home stretch.  he figured we would need to run an 8-9 minute mile to reach my goal.  the race got underway and within a few steps, i knew it was gonna be challenging.  there we were, in the middle of the pack, and my husband is like a leashed dog being held back by his owner (me), desperately pulling and excitedly jumping {figuratively} wanting to sprint past all those that stood between him and the finish line.  so whether i started off too hard (like i said i didn't want to) or not enough water, my sides instantly made themselves very aware to my noggin and for the majority of the run, and i wanted it to just be over.  

this run was another two-lap course-dealie, and we finished the first lap in good, good time.  the second lap... well, i really struggled.  my side was really hurting, and i was running way faster (to keep up with mr. athlete) than i wanted to.  i ended up walking 2-3 times, but really pushing through the side ache and attempting to focus on my breaths in and out.  meanwhile, the caged beast is taking half-steps to accommodate pokey little me.

we finished the 5k with a personal best time of 31:22.  i placed 206/536, and ben placed 139/197 which is pretty lousy for the dudes.  HA!  i know he could have finished way, way, WAY ahead of me, but how nice to cross the finish line at the same time.  next race, i think we will start together, and then perhaps he'll cheer me on at the finish line!

the last 5k i ran was at the minnesota zoo in apple valley.  the kids and my mom and i arrived in minnesota on a friday night, and the race was the next morning.  i hadn't quite thought that one through.  the time change got me and the lack of fluids and sleep, but i came out running my best race yet.  in all my previous races, i had set my nike+ to the "distance" selection, where the nice british lady would count down ___ kilometers until completion, ___ yards to completion, etc.  however, this run, i selected the "time" option.  that really made a difference!  i made adjustments in my pace to know if i needed to speed up, and i was able to cross the finish line at 31:01, placing 316/725.

tiger tracks 5k
minnesota zoo


now, you might be thinking that i'm not making that much improvement, and you'd be correct in that assumption.  but.  i wish i could say i'm able to get out and train for these 5ks, but i'm not.  i walk with my kids, go for long hikes, play in the yard, but my time of getting out and running in between runs, there's not a whole lot of that me time at this stage in my life.  so, i'm just gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back for making any improvement, whatsoever.  after all, i'm the mom.  because i said so.     

No comments:

Post a Comment