Saturday, June 4, 2011

skinny mini 6k

so, you know how things can seem like a good idea at the time?  well, that was me, like, 11 days ago when i signed up for this race.  fast forward 3 days (yes, a mere THREE days), and i was laid up in bed with strep.  gah!  training before a race?  getting in some jogging miles?  or even walking?  nope.  so with that i was running on a prayer...

20 minutes until start
 and, we're off!

the babes started to fuss so after ben wished me luck and gave me a pat on the butt, we waved good bye.  shortly after, it was go time.  i turned my ipod on and selected my custom 6k workout.  as the announcer counted down from 10 seconds, my heart raced and my belly flopped.  i wondered if i had time to use the port-a-potty for a third time.  as the buzzer signaled the start of the race, i pushed play and shipping up to boston filled my ears.    



as we raced down h street, i felt this fullness, this satisfaction.  i guess i was already proud of myself, and the race wasn't even a quarter of a mile into it!  just being out there, doing it, i had already felt accomplished.  turning onto 2nd avenue and eventually onto the coastal trail, i couldn't help but notice the view.  breathtaking, literally.

rounding along westchester lagoon, the headwind was so fierce that i slowed to a brisk walk that was even to my jogging pace.  but, after just a few feet, i began to run again.  throughout the entire 3.7 miles, i walked 4 times, maybe equally a minute total.  i really did not want to walk any of it.  you end up playing little mind games with yourself out there.  i would think ok, i'll walk until i get to that tree which may be just 20 feet ahead.

in the last mile of the race, there were some pretty significant hills.  when i first glanced ahead to take note, i felt like oh, man! but in all actuality, i felt best running up the hills.  i felt strong (and passing people helps boost your esteem, too!)  so coming off of beech lane, crossing over p street, i could see the finish line.  no better feeling!  right at that point, i spotted ben and my babies, and for an instant, i felt a lump in my throat.  i heard ben cheering and jack was yelling mama, come back!  but, rather than feeling like i could spill some tears, i couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  i had did it.  i crossed the finish line at 39:10 placing 54 out of 145 runners.
    
 home stretch, i spot my family

 finish!

 i think he missed me...



 mmm, melon

 star the reindeer!

who doesn't love a free adidas jersey?!

No comments:

Post a Comment